Artistic creativity is a process requiring a whole lot of effort and concentration along with. A lapse of concentration can obviously break an entire magnum opus that you have been spending a host of time building up. All hope is not lost though, there are still some lighting products that are scientifically demonstrated to keep you from losing momentum in your work, as an artist. Here are the top 6 of the best desk lamps for artists to seek something even more peaceful than the feeling of being alone, let’s discover it by following my instructions below.
- 1 Top 6 best desk lamps for artists
- 1.1 Top 1: TaoTronics LED Desk Lamp with USB Charging Port
- 1.2 Top 2: TORCHSTAR Metal Swing Arm Desk Lamp
- 1.3 Top 3: JOLY JOY LED Desk Lamp with Clamp
- 1.4 Top 4: AmazLit Eye-Care Swing Arm Desk Lamp
- 1.5 Top 5: LEDU L445BK 3-Way Incandescent Swing Arm Lamp
- 1.6 Top 6: Bostitch Office VLF100 LED Swing Arm Desk Lamp
- 2 How to choose the best table lamps for artists?
- 3 Best desk lamps for artists FAQs
Top 6 best desk lamps for artists
- Forward-beam technology: You don’t need to move the lamp head but still switch the light source from front to back thanks to the “illuminated area” button. You also can reduce shadows and keep your eyes from direct light to minimize glare and eye strain at the same time.
- User-friendly: The lighting can be easily set with straight-forward touch settings and a knob on the base of the lamp. Moreover, this design enables the product to be soft and non-flickering, meaning that it would never fatigue your eyes due to heavy exposure to reading materials.
- Auto brightness adjustment: You may have used a lot of products based on auto-brightness adjustment technology but I am as sure as hell that your eyes are caught by this lamp, which provides built-in ambient light sensor dims and brightens the light automatically with no harm related to the eye, including discomfort or eye strain.
- High-color reproduction: The manufacturer claims that this lamp emits a light close to natural daylight so as to lighten objects with their true colors and ensure the focus of any precise color picking when it comes to painting, designing, or crafting tasks.
- The only way I could make the lamp work was by plugging and unplugging it, maybe this happened on account of manufacturing defects.
- Two-in-one function: This product appears to be highly adaptable as it can be placed anywhere, from school, dorm room, office to bedroom because you can stand it up on its own or use a c-clamp it onto the surface vertically or horizontally.
- Flexible: With the assistance of a spring-balanced arm, users can expect to lighten a large area around or simply reposition the lamp as such. That arm can extend up to 18’’, for the best flexibility offered.
- High quality: You are not worried about low-quality products when purchasing with this brand since its swingarm and lampshade are known to be made from solid metals with a black finish. In the case that you feel a bit hesitant as the power plug may pose a hazard related to electricity, this product is proven to be completely safe as its plug is UL-listed.
- User-friendly: Being taken up too much space has been a nightmare for many house owners, but you can be distinguished from those if you choose to use the product. This lamp can be placed anywhere and effortlessly switched.
- The light shade is too short enabling the lightbulb to extend past the lower edge of the shade, which seems to be a big factor lowering its grade.
- Eye-care and adjustable light: Protecting your eyes means protecting your sight, so it is extremely important. Gaining insights into customer’s psychology, this brand understands that an adjustable lighting product can minimize the chance of suffering from eye strain. Hence, you can be totally fine with immersing in the lightness of the lamp.
- Space-saving: If you are not into the product that takes up a lot of your narrow space, if so, attached clamp mounts effortlessly to any studio design places, plus hidden cabling can address the problem of space taken.
- Energy-saving: 80% less energy consumption than conventional bulbs is obvious if chosen. Furthermore, those light bulbs last for up to 50,000 hours without any replacement needed. This ensures a less expensive electricity bill and carbon footprint is also reduced a great amount.
- Customer service from the manufacturer is sometimes claimed as not good as expected.
- Adjustable color temperature: Apart from a long swivel lamp head providing fantastic brightness and a wide range of color options, people who fancy adjustability now have color temperature settings to be more flexible that is amazing for any occasion from reading to handicraft making…
- Timing function: An automatic delay-off feature is available in this desk lamp, it can be set to 10 or 40m before you fall into sleep and it starts to turn off automatically. You don’t have to worry about a wake-up during your sound sleep to turn off the light, anyway.
- Personal needs optimized: First and foremost, you may be surprised when hearing that space-saving and desktop-cleaning are always the first impressions when it comes to these lighting products. Afterward, with a versatile design, freely adjustable angles, and diverse positions, you can easily change the light direction bases completely on your demands individually.
- Energy-efficient: 98 LEDs transparently results in the consumption of less than traditional bulbs, meaning your budget for maintenance can be lowered to the minimum, and investment for another appliance can be enhanced a bit.
- Unfortunately, the designers of the company put the on and off switches just above the lamp base, needing harder effort to turn it off.
- Well-made and adaptive: Selected from high-quality materials, this brand has long been proud of its products to be the best in the price range that can stay wherever you place it. With one hand only, manipulation can be easier than ever without any problem arising for sure.
- Versatile: Smooth adjustment is obviously recognized and the lamp doesn’t get hot even after a long time of operation. You can expect to be lightened with the same brightness at an office supply store for almost twice as much. The versatility of lighting choices makes this a worthy trade-off that many users don’t hesitate to exchange.
- Good delivery: The lamp is generally shipped in the manufacturer’s box inside another bigger box with an Amazon stamp. You can be relieved that the shipment is complete with all inclusions intact.
- Customer service occasionally doesn’t do right.
- Replaceable bulb: Each clamp lamp is featured in a metal construction to ensure durability and longevity. It even comes ready to use as it includes a replaceable LED light bulb for the sake of brilliant lighting in any corner with the quick plug in at any electric outlet.
- Long reach: You’re looking for the perfect lamp for anywhere, I gotta say that no surface goes unlit since this lamp effortlessly clears monitors and large surface tops with its extensive reach that is around 36 inches.
- This lamp at times doesn’t come with installation instructions.
How to choose the best table lamps for artists?
You basically can spend hours comparing the aesthetics and look of those types of lamps. But there are other more essential factors to be regarded when buying an artist lamp.
First of all, the lamp needs to be bright enough so that you can work at ease. You can be able to see even the very small details without straining your eyes due to the attribute of the work. Having a well-lit environment will enable you to perform at your best. You can’t produce fantastic artwork if you’re just struggling to see! You’ll see the brightness of a light that is referred to in lumen. As a guide, the minimum index should be at least 500 lumens.
The color temperature:
It’s not just the brightness of the lamp that’s important most. You also need to carefully consider the color temperature of the light. That decides how cold or warm the light will produce. The color temperature is generally measured in K and ranges from 1000K up to 10,000K. The lower the number, the warmer the light will seem to be. A 1000K light is tantamount to candlelight. Color temperature that is lower than 4000K appears to have a yellow or orange shade. White light has a tendency to range between 4500 and 6500K. Above that, the light will produce a blue tinge.
It’s absolutely up to you the type kind of light you prefer in your creativity space. Blue or bright white light can be a lot harsher. But it also increases productivity and concentration for your work as an artist.
Best desk lamps for artists FAQs
Why is it so important to get your art studio the right light?
The light you paint under is probably the most indispensable factor which determines the colors you see in your painting. It is something that will affect every color decision you make later on. Therefore, it is important that you make an attempt to set up your art studio lighting perfectly so that it is a pleasure to paint under the light. Otherwise, you may take notice over time that all your paintings all seem to be too cool, warm, bright, or dull, as a consequence of you putting an effort to compensate for the poor lighting.
What is the color temperature?
Color temperature is a way to describe the light appearance brought about by a light bulb. It is specifically measured in degrees of Kelvin (K) on a scale ranging from 1,000 to 10,000.
However, with that said, the typical temperature scale normally ranges from 2000K-6500K for purposes related to residence or commerce. The lower end of the scale will produce a warm appearance as such. While the higher end of the scale seems to produce a blue-white light that mimics daylight as well.
At the end of the day, color temperature is totally up to you as an artist. Not all of us see color and light the same way due to the distinction in our vision toward lighting. However, generally, 5000K will be the best choice as it provides a slightly cool, yet clean light source than ever. This will make sure that you paint your paintings with a hint of warmth while still maintaining true and vibrant colors as much as possible.
How does bad lighting affect your masterpiece?
Generally, we’re not looking at paintings in the evening under warm yellow light, and it can greatly affect how we perceive the color around us. Of course, it’s one thing to have the lighting change the way a painting looks exactly after you’re finished, which is a pain, but this shift in value can occur while you’re painting the piece as well. This can cause all kinds of problems little by little because the lighting that is too warm and dim causes you to overcompensate with a palette that is too cool and pale. Come morning, you’ll experience that sad moment when you go to look at your painting (the one you were certainly happy with!) and find the whole thing has a very blue cast behind.